Monday, June 21, 2010

The Start

To get my background read my story on www.comingbackfromcancer.com

You may have heard about this guy a few years ago. He had cancer, went through surgery, treatments, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and then had a pretty successful career in sports afterward. Sure he had the best of everything, some money to spend on treatments, and the time to focus on recovery. Not many have those gifts.

I got to thinking. I too have had cancer, I have some gifts as well. They are more athletic, and short on the funds part. After much thought, cycling was what really matters to me. Life without it just isn't the same. Being competitive, tactical, training, racing, and overcoming obstacles make it all worthwhile.

After killing 3 years of my cycling career trying to just feel somewhat better after cancer, I just finally decided I needed to force some steps to get better and ride again. I started my comeback for I don't know what time again, but in 2010 I finally made some inroads toward some goals. With this, I felt that there is something missing out there in the world, that is support for the cancer patient to get back to a normal life.

Cancer turns your world upside down. I had one of the most curable cancers out there, Thyroid Cancer. A very high success rate there. But despite the statistics, what really happens to you during the whole experience? Doctors can give you pills to try to return to something normal, but it takes far more than that to get back to where you once were.

Coming back from cancer is for any cancer patient out there. Clinging to life, your life is important. Someone inflicting their version onto you is not what was bargained for. Getting back to what you know, and are comfortable with is of the most importance. Coming back from cancer, the blog, and the website is for everyone to realize there are normal people that can regain their life. It is for information so you too can make strides forward. Being able to talk to real people and have them tell you the truth about day to day life is beyond important. We need more stories of how myself, or my neighbor adapts to cancer and overcomes to regain what once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment