Sunday, January 20, 2013

Starting 2013 the right way

I know this has happened several times before. The starting over, or restarting, or whatever to call it. 1/21/13 will be my true start back. On 1/18/13 I had the scan that should have occurred a few years ago that would have cleared me, and proven that Thyroid Cancer was fairly unlikely to happen for the rest of my life. I had been living under a bit of a cloud for the last few years. Since my surgery, I had lost my job, and had no insurance for quite a while. Since I changed vocations and became a teacher, I was able to finally become insured, and with that I planned out late last year into right now to do a radio-iodine pet scan which proves the amount of thyroid tissue left in my body, particularly in the neck area where the vast majority resides. It is weird in that for a long time I really never knew what my status was, I just took my thyroid medications and hoped for the best. I had tried a few come backs, but without knowing, and also having some medical issues that I tried several doctors with, I found only difficulties, and no solutions. I am now set with better doctors, and I am confident that I can get everything correct now. I have the ball rolling in the correct direction as it were. The last two months, from November 2012 to January 2013 were difficult. Getting ready to scan, coming off my medications, and trying to live a normal life was difficult. I got to the point that I could not even see clearly. This morning was awesome, after two days back on the drugs, I was starting to see better! I could concentrate again, and my brain was working a bit better as well. I have a long way to go. In the last month a bunch of weight packed on for me and there was nothing I could do to prevent it. My hands are swollen so badly right now. My face is so puffy that I look like an alcoholic. In the next few weeks I expect 10-20 pounds to come off with much of it being water weight. Then I have the challenge of trying to drop my weight into the 180 range which will be the lightest I have been post cancer. I hope to be there by April, and with that I should start to become competitive racing. This summer I will work to get my weight down even further. I will get back to a 150 range where I belong, and with that become nationally competitive again. That is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment